Friday, June 21, 2013

In My Shirts Heart Pocket

In My Shirts Heart Pocket

L. Edgar Otto    Friday, 21 June, 2013


I cannot recall her face, not that I threw something away
but she took something of me with her, now her own

She came up to me on Franklin Street
said she had graduated so was leaving

Thanked me for talks from time to time
over coffee or walks along the quad

Catch me sleeping in the grass, reading, or
writing, sitting together on the wall watching passers-by

"I just want to tell you I wish I could fold you up
put you in my shirt pocket and carry you with me."

* * *

This damn smart phone is magic, like the real world
plays tricks with space and time

I have arrived at last to dreams of all the books in the
library in my shirt pocket window

Back then we could print the Bible in a millimeter square
but it took large machines to read it

Such light so we arise again from darkness yet that
unseen spurs on our desires and creativity

Or you I holding in my hand standing out that moment in time
like alerts from the weather girl, real silhouette, screen of green

* * *

I look back and see me in the many-worlds, absurd magic
changing traffic lights with but a wave of my finger

Painting sunsets in compliments thinking I'm crazy were
it not for people stopping, remarking how beautiful the sky

* * *

As if I were their guru, those who said they could see
sparks under my feet as I walked

The high ones as well those let out on the street
to fend homeless for themselves from South Wing

I just did not let out I did not understand the magic
any more than they, denying my divinity proved it to them

Still, I had to keep a cheerful smile so the sky would not be fog
or the arcing clouds spawn tornadoes, universes parallel

* * *

Our watchers cannot win you know, break our deeper
bonds or by virtual worlds distracting us by light

So much we do not know about our curly toes
fading in and out, Love the fifth element

They cannot follow you unless you will it, nor I,
but you reappeared now that I better understand

From somewhere vanished into a black hole and
coming out the other side, thru silence between heart beats

Say hello, pedals unfolding, my own scoundrel falling acts
taking you fore granted yet now we all forgiven

As real for us both your smelling like a rose...

* * * *

14 comments:

  1. "Painting sunsets in compliments thinking I'm crazy were
    it not for people stopping, remarking how beautiful the sky"

    I love that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some great lines in this, especially the one Mama Zen noted. I enjoyed this stroll through your thoughts very much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lots of thoughts here. I too enjoyed my stroll through your thoughts, just as Sherry Blue Sky said. Thanks for sharing all of this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like "changing traffic lights with but a wave of my finger",-
    has deep meaning for me too... very thoughtful and inspiring your poem, L.Edgar Otto

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have so much in our shirt pocket on our phones. "Our watchers cannot win you know, break our deeper bonds or by virtual worlds distracting us by light" Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. ... Wistful & sentimental, this pondering poem that skips along...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoyed this slowly unfolding self realization. Also loved your profile poem.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Many thought trails to follow...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love ~ the fifth element ... the fifth dimension, not a hypothetical.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello! I really liked how this piece flows. Each section feels disjointed from the one above, but a thin theme of magic in the ordinary ties them together...which for me was very compelling in how you chose to reveal each insight. At every line, I am aware there is a narrative divulging truths to me, but in a way where the truth is not obscured by fact.

    Well done and viva la

    ReplyDelete
  11. Each person with whom we interact retains a piece of us and v.v.; the unimportant, the important. We think we forget most but I don't think we do. I think we must beware losing ourselves to others by allowing them to take a piece, bit by bit.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Not sure why, I commented on this on Friday but its just not there. There is a undercurrent in this one that I find pretty fascinating, and it adds to the tone and the flow. I particularly like the middle stanza and the last line. This was an awesome take on the challenge, and I thank you very much for coming out to play.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You've tapped in, and opened the spigot for us to drink. ~ M

    ReplyDelete