Monday, July 8, 2013

LiLi in Her Prime II

LiLi in Her Prime II

L. Edgar Otto   07 July, 2013


Tempted by the Big Apple
sunrise against the dark to walk a day
with LiLi in her prime
thru Central Park

Now I recall the streets
tin pans where music's made
no rest, keep moving on sidewalks
for my feet, subways and orangeade

Crowds crowding me unseen hands
caress yet pick my pockets
some trick to beg for my last dime
I used to call home homesick

Tempted by the Big Apple
I still a fallen rebel on the road
with LiLi in her prime share a
sunrise scoop in Central Park a la mode

Twice a year stone clock towers
let the dawn come thru skyscraper
grid avenues as my youthful
dreams long for light in those missed hours

Trees and songbirds glow again in Brooklyn
far away yet near that skyline thru her eyes alone
at night between Gotham's belfry and her 
Chelsea morning the Village now a garden

Tempted by the Big Apple
sunrise she inspires the rhyme I
walking thru heartland's garden park
with LiLi in her prime 

Beyond storms in heart that made me cry
so brave a miss to grace shores I've loved
trees and songbirds now fill the skies may
she get her piece of the big apple pie

* * * 

Outside her window time a confetti fall she watches the parades
as I window dress my shop of dreams Dylan like or Ferlinghetti

* * * *

Note:  I am getting closer in this yet another attempt to make a song - this one
may fit the chords better... but I post it as is for the poetry's sake.  Who could 
have foreseen I would miss New York City hitchhiking with a few pennies to find her
in that time coming back from overseas to New Jersey trying to find America again.

*
http://withrealtoads.blogspot.com/  linked for open post monday as work done outside the garden.

LiLi's amazing video

2 comments:

  1. Ah, there are so many things I miss about the City. Your allusion to Tin Pan Alley was brill, Edgar. Who is LiLi? The mysterious woman of your past, perhaps... or is Li the symbol for Lithium on the Periodic Table of the Elements?!

    Nice. Amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, just a young singer songwriter I have followed since My Space and one whom I especially like, from a very mysterious part of France who came to NY... very bravely. Her one video in an early album in black and white showed places in the city I walked when I hitchhiked there just after the folk era about the time of Woodstock. LiLi Roquelin. It is a long time since I have seen NY like that... like That Girl maybe, but I wound up working awhile in Long Island. No, she is not a mysterious lady from my past but who knows... maybe, if we did not interfere with our paths of creation and the ages right I will ask her to the prom in a future life. My favorite song is that amazing video- her attitude to the universe strikes a chord with me. I wish her well indeed. Lithium, a very interesting remark - you see, between two souls there can enter number three- hopefully the child of our creations with their own interpretation of life's dream.

    ReplyDelete